Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

My little one loves cakes, guess the apple does not really fall from the tree! I have been looking for healthier options for her, seeing her down slices of refined flour cakes being not up my alley. Stumbled upon this, it had all things good - Oats, raisin, a proportionally lower level of butter and sugar. So, i got down to making these muffins.

These are adapted from the recipe here. While one adds raisins, the other chocolate chips. I chose raisins mainly because my daughter can't have enough of them! The flavors are quite delicate and the sweetness can definitely be increased. I did sprinkle sugar on top and that helped to add to the sweetness and gave an unusual crunch in the bite.

Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees C and prepare your muffin moulds. I own pretty pink silicone ones (that I had been dying to use again) which require little prepping and can go in almost ungreased.

In a medium bowl add oats and 1/2 cup of milk and let stand for 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, add boiling water to raisins, to plump them up. Let them sit for 10 minutes and then drain.

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.

In a large bowl whisk together egg and sugar till well combined and takes a caramel color. Add butter and vanilla to it, whisking well till you get a smooth batter. Add flour mix, oat mixture and remaining milk and stir until completely combined. These two mixes have different consistencies and take a good mixing to be evenly combined. Fold in the raisins gently to this batter.


Pour in (rather plop) the batter into the muffin moulds, sprinkle some brown sugar on top. Here are mine ready to go in, don't they look pretty?



Bake for 15-18 minutes till a toothpick comes out clean. My oven took 15 mins.

Allow to cool in the moulds for 15 mins (not any longer!) and Enjoy!


And here is the best part - With trepidation, I put it in my brightest cupcake liner and offered it to my little one - she literally gobbled it down. After downing one, she held my hand and walked me to kitchen and said "Aur!" (More!). It was all just so worth it!



Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour (130g)
1 cup oats, large flake or quick cooking. I used quick cooking.
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg. I had run out of it. The muffins tasted great nevertheless.
1 cup milk
1/3 cup packed brown sugar. I added a little more (about a tbsp.), could do with some more.
1/4 cup butter, melted (57g)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup raisins or any dried fruit or chocolate chips
Brown sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)

3 comments:

  1. Yummy, have to try this!-SVB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Let me know how it turns out..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! (and i don't use the word as often as kids these days). Really really awesome. If k grows up to be pudgy she knows who to blame... Who can resist such yummy treats!

    ReplyDelete